Intercept Technology is state-of-the-art corrosion protection developed by Alcatel Lucent Bell Labs to solve problems they were experiencing with Corrosion.
The Intercept Technology is a revolutionary product reacting solid state reactive materials into a polymer matrix. These reactive materials react with and neutralize all corrosive gases that contact the film.
Protection against corrosive gases is 10 years per mil of Intercept material. Intercept protects Ferrous and Non-Ferrous Metals as well as preventing Galvanic Corrosion.
Metals corrode (tarnish) by reaction with common gases in the atmosphere. These corrosive gases react with both Ferrous (Iron based) and Non-Ferrous metals, however these gases are the primary cause for Non-Ferrous metal (such as Silver, Tin, Copper, Brass, etc.) corrosion.
Intercept protects against Corrosion Damage:
- Reacts with and permanently neutralizes corrosive gases
- Provides corrosion protection for 10 years per mil of Intercept material
- Effective against Galvanic coupling (corrosion between joined dissimilar metals)
- Leaves no detectable deposit on any product it protects (unlike VCI’s)
- Cleanses trapped air of corrosive gases
- Provides cost savings by eliminating secondary packaging and cleaning operations – cleaning operations often required with VCI protection or no protection
- Acts as a passive Bactericide and Mildewcide
- Eliminates the need for storage in inert atmospheres
- Environmentally friendly with substantially reduced landfill time (breaking down into Polymer dust) and fully recyclable (meeting tough German recycling laws)
Common corrosive gases and examples of how they are produced:
- Hydrogen sulfide (H2S) produced as affluent from pulp mills, oil refineries, heavy industry and from decaying vegetation.
- Carbonyl sulfide (COS) produced from fossil fuel combustion (such as burning coal, gasoline or petrol, oil, etc.), wood fires and ocean surfaces.
- Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) produced from fossil fuel combustion and from smelting operations.
- Hydrogen chloride (HCl) produced from fossil fuel combustion and from ocean surfaces.
Intercept Technology is effective corrosion protection for the following materials:
- Ferrous Metals (Iron and Steel)
- Galvanic couples (if the Intercept is in intimate contact)
Physical Properties Typical Values Test Method:
- Thickness 3 mils
- Tensile Strength MD 11.5 Lbs/in ASTM D882
- TD 9.0 Lbs/in ASTM D882
- Elongation MD 321 % ASTM D882
- TD 512 % ASTM D882
- Puncture Resistance 8.0 Lbs FTMS 101, MTH 2065
- Dynamic Coefficient of Friction .27 (on own surface)
- Moisture Permeation 3 g/m2 (40oC per 24 hrs)
- Sulfur and Chlorine Permeation 0 cc/m2 (for 15 years) DuPont and AT&T Test
- Ozone Permeation 0 cc/m2 (for 15 years) DuPont and AT&T Test
- Heat Seal Strength 6.0 lbs/in Instron
Companies using Static Intercept have reported substantial decreases in latent defects (caused almost exclusively by corrosion and ESD) as well as in work in process failures (WIP materials) leading to increased yields. Intercept is safe and effective for direct wafer contact, as well as for storing and shipping boards, assemblies, missile components, and irreplaceable art works.
Contact an R.J. Hanlon solution specialist today to learn more about the Intercept Technology or to place an order.